RSS

Tales of a Running Hater: Denver Edition

 

Yes, I did actually wear all of that at one time.

At 6:30 a.m. in Denver, which is 5:30 a.m. in my Los Angeles-based brain, I was laying in my warm bed trying to talk myself into getting up.

It was a serious battle in my head. But miraculously, I pulled myself out of bed. Three different times.

I put all of those clothes on and faced the snow-covered ground for Week 3 of the Couch-to-5k running program.

This was the first week that had a longer run. We’ve jumped up from running 90-second intervals to running a couple of 3-minute intervals. Still, not too bad. I know a difficult week is around the corner for me, but at this point, things have gone smoothly from a physical standpoint. I haven’t been sore afterwords. Running in the high altitude makes me breathe heavier than normal, but it hasn’t caused me near as many problems as I thought it might.

But I did come up against something new.

For the first time in my life, I had the chance to feel what it’s like to have my boogers start to freeze in my nose.

(At this point, I should mention despite wearing all those clothes at one time and writing about my boogers freezing, I did manage to get engaged this weekend. This probably surprises you that someone like that could actually find someone to propose to them. I won’t argue with you on that.)

Freezing boogers were only the first day, however. That was when the temperature was in the teens. Day 2, it was in the high 20s. Balmy. On Day 3, I didn’t even have to run with my gloves on. It’s like I’m a full blown Coloradoan now…except for the fact that I’ll NEVER wear shorts when the temperature is in the 40s, like everyone around here seems to. Other than that, it’s exactly the same.

Admittedly, I haven’t exactly gone by the book on the Couch-to-5k, because of getting sick and trying to fit runs in while I’m on a trip where I’ve worked some long hours. It hasn’t gone as smoothly as I had hoped in that department, but I have done all of the workouts required. Doing them in the proper time frame has proven to be a challenge for me.

Still, I am determined to finish, so I’m plugging away. In 12 layers of clothes.





 
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: